Wednesday, February 18, 2009

ER visit - After 4 Years and 3 kids it finally happened

Jared woke up Sunday morning yelling at us from our room saying his leg hurt and that he couldn't walk. I thought to myself hallelujah, maybe he will sit still at church. It was quite a scene to see Jared sitting and not running around all over the place. We asked him what happened and he said he fell off his scooter and hurt is leg Superbad. The funny thing was Jared didn't ride his scooter on Saturday, nor did he say his leg hurt the night before. Trust me as bad as he was favoring his left hip, I am sure we would have heard about it. Since he always likes to tell us... "Ow, I hurt myself".
We really didn't think much about it until Heather went to choir practice and talked to Valerie Wells and said that if his hip is hurting that bad, I would call the doctor. So that is exactly what we did. The Dr. said that if he doesn't have a fever or if it doesn't get better we should take him to the ER. So we gave him Ibuprofen and waited. After about 45 minutes, Heather and I decided to take him to the ER just to make sure everything is alright. My dad came over to go with me and Jared and Susan my step-mom went with Heather to church to help out in nursery. So we get to the hospital and wait and wait and wait some more.
Finally we get into see the RN & ER Registrar. She asked for insurance card and Jared was so excited to hand her his own personal card. She said thank you and Jared replied "your welcome". The lady about fell over in shock. She said she couldn't remember the last time someone said your welcome. So that made Heather and I proud. Now the only worry we have left besides his hip was whether or not he had clean underwear.
Finally he was put into a 3 person room. Luckily he was on the far side so we had some privacy, not that you really have any at a hospital anyway. Jared received his first taste of what it is like to wear the lovely hospital clothes. Then he was told to lay on a bed with no blankets. Maybe the economy has hit hospitals too. I wonder if my insurance covers blankets.... Anyway they finally gave him the nice warm blankets out of the warmer and he was so excited he asked for more a little later.
Here is Jared in hospital garb with his scooby sticker

Another shot of Jared pre-blankets



Finally a picture of Jared enjoying the good life of not very soft, but warm hospital blankets.

Soon the Dr showed up and said that Jared needed an x-ray to confirm he didn't have a fracture and to rule out arthritis or whatever else could be going on. The Dr then said something about a Popsicle and ohh man did that get Jared excited. Too bad they wouldn't let him have one until they knew he would require surgery. So the whole time he kept asking for Spiderman Popsicles and each time the nurses had to keep telling him no. Poor kid. At least we ended up better than the boy in the trauma room. He had a skateboarding accident and broke his arm. Yeah I have been there too, but usually it didn't involve a skateboard, but my own stupidity and clumsiness.

Lucky for us, the x-rays were negative and there were no signs of a bacterial infection. So the Jared finally got his Popsicle, even though it wasn't a Spiderman one. The other thing that he could not wait for was to get the stupid hospital bracelet off his ankle. In fact, he wouldn't even let me get him dressed until they cut it off, lucky for me I was able to sidetrack him and he let me get him dressed and then the nurse finally cut it off.

Then it was off to home.

The next day, Jared woke up early as usual and told us leg didn't hurt and he could move and run. It didn't take long for him to be back to normal picking on his sister and everything. Later while we were eating dinner, Jared said his leg hurt again. When Heather & I turned to look he was jumping on the couch. Must not have hurt too bad.

It was nice to have him slowed down for a little bit, but I think I like the normal Jared better. He sure keeps us on our toes.

3 comments:

amie979 said...

SO what did they say was wrong with him?

Anonymous said...

Poor baby.... yeah- did you guys ever find out what really was wrong??

J and H Hunsaker said...

Mystery???? He had a priesthood blessing before he went so who knows what he really did. I am just glad he is okay